“Almost, Maine” – A Fall Delight

Back to Article
Back to Article

“Almost, Maine” – A Fall Delight

Alison Waller, Staff Writer

The annual fall play for the 2019-2020 school year is John Cariani’s, “Almost, Maine,” directed by Mr. Mr. McGraw. The cast of ten students will be performing it live on October 17-19 at 7:00 PM each night in the Downingtown East Auditorium. Tickets will be sold at the door before all three shows. $10 for students and $12 for adults. 

Set in the small and unknown town of Almost, Maine, this “midwinter night’s dream” focuses on the complexity that is love, both falling in and out of it. Each scene portrays a modern vignette featuring a new couple in Almost, Maine. The characters either fall in love or deal with the difficulties that come with unreciprocated love. 

“I connect so much with the show. I think it has a lot of depth and raw emotions,” stated Eden Gill (9), the only freshman member of the cast. 

“Almost, Maine” is the #1 most performed drama nationwide in high schools. Director John McGraw states that he selected “Almost, Maine” as this year’s fall play because, “We had done it [Almost, Maine] once as part of a class play, and because of the nature of a class play, there are a lot of factors that are limited… I wanted to revisit the play and be able to add those elements like some of the great lighting effects we have. Also, we haven’t done a show in a while where there’s a focus on characterization, and this is a strong show for that.”

There are nine couples in this show, and each character has a unique personality. Jackson McGovern (11) was cast as three different roles in the play. “It’s been an uphill battle to develop each of my characters and finding ways to quickly get into their minds in between scenes. My favorite character is Dave, hands down. He’s been the most challenging physically, but the end result of pulling him off is incredibly rewarding,” said McGovern (11). 

The cast has grown really close. Humna Khawaja (10) touches on how her scenes have impacted her friendships, stating, “I think that acting brings out a certain vulnerability in people that they may not expose every day in situations, especially in this play because [scenes] are usually only between two people. People don’t usually look into the eyes of other people. In this play, we’re forced to look at each other and as awkward as it may be, I now feel closer to the people I have scenes with.” 

The tech and stage crew are made of the student body as well. Parts of the set were painted by Downingtown East student Samantha Wasson (12). 

“People should come see the show because it’s a cute rom-com,” said cast member Alli O’Grady (11), “It’s heartwarming.”

Downingtown East Theatre will be performing Chicago as its spring musical in the upcoming season.