DEHS Welcomes New Guidance Counselor

Back to Article
Back to Article

DEHS Welcomes New Guidance Counselor

Matt Ronca, Staff Writer

Downingtown East’s support team for students consists of eight guidance counselors, all of which have a crucial role in making the school’s atmosphere positive and supportive. For the 2017-2018 school year, the school received a new guidance counselor, Mrs. Heather Gallo. She went to West Chester University for both her undergraduate and graduate degrees. For her Bachelor of Arts, she has a Geography and Planning Degree, as well as a Secondary Certified Social Studies teacher. She also has her master of education in secondary school counseling.

Of course, a new guidance counselor arises many questions amongst more than just the student body, but with parents and other school staff as well. Guidance counselors are responsible for more than just “offering advice” and providing structural support for school and well being, but they also are responsible for aiding students in the applying to college process, as well as other assignments such as being a curriculum leader or part of the Student Assistance Service (SAS) team. Mrs. Gallo has had ten years experience as a guidance counselor. Mrs. Gallo feels very passionate about the Downingtown East Environment, she was quick to exclaim how warm her welcome to the school was. “It was fantastic. Student’s have done a great job at welcoming me.” Mrs. Gallo was further able to not only become a bit closer with her students, but some of her staff members as well through the LINK (Leaders Involved in Networking Kids) that was run by Kurt Haines, Alyssa Day, and Heather Erwin.

Notably, Mrs. Gallo has a life outside of the school/work environment. She lives in the Borough of West Chester with her six-and-a-half-year-old daughter, Taylor and her husband, Steve. Together, they own an eight month old puppy named Max.

Mrs. Gallo is excited to continue her important role as a guidance counselor for her upcoming time at Downingtown East – and only hopes that she can continue to familiarize herself with the students and staff who are proud of their school spirit.