2017 Fall Play Canceled

Back to Article
Back to Article

2017 Fall Play Canceled

Nate Leatherwood, Staff Writer

Due to the ongoing auditorium renovations, there will be no play at Downingtown East in the Fall of 2017.  While the auditorium may have been ready in time to host the November play, concerns over rehearsal space and the exact timetable of the renovations led to the cancellation.

An alternative location was considered, but all of the other high schools in the district are also undergoing similar renovations. Mr. McGraw, the director of the fall play since there was a Downingtown East, said “In terms of securing and outside space, we just thought there were too many logistical concerns.” As a result of this, a secondary location could not found for the play.

Perhaps the most affected group of students are the seniors, who now won’t have the opportunity to act in a fall play in their final year. ”I’m upset, I had never done a fall play before,” said Alexa Willis (12). In addition to the seniors, however, freshmen will also be missing out on an opportunity to see how the auditioning process works and will not be able to see a Downingtown East play in their first year. “It’s a good way for them to learn how it (Downingtown East Theatre) works,” Sophia Eanone (12) said.

However, there are certainly positives that come with these renovations. “We won’t have any of the sound issues we’ve had in the past, so I’m looking forward to that,” Mr. McGraw said. Mr. Brown, who has been in the theatre department since 2004, said, “The renovations should provide more attractive and more functional soft goods on stage to better and more cleanly mask backstage action.”

In addition, it is highly unlikely that the renovations will negatively impact this year’s spring musical, Sister Act.