Seniors Without Laptops

Back to Article
Back to Article

Seniors Without Laptops

Elizabeth Cunningham, Staff Writer

Last year, Downingtown School District distributed laptops to the Classes of 2019 and 2020 as part of the One to One program.  However, this year’s seniors were left without the option to purchase these laptops.

Most students in every grade had their own laptop their families purchased themselves or they relied on the school’s laptops.  There are a few seniors that do not have their own laptops they bring to and from school everyday.

These students have a difficult time balancing their schedules without a laptop to work with throughout the day.  It adds to the amount of homework to be done at the end of the day.  One student, Carrigan Morabito stated, “It effects my computer science class because I have to redo my entire coding at home.”

In addition, without laptops, seniors have to restrict their class choices.  “It’s part of the reason why I don’t take any blended classes other than AP Art.  It’s incredibly difficult to do any work while in school and impossible when the library is closed,” Nathan Leatherwood said.

Those who do not have a laptop sometimes use their phones as their BYOD.  Leatherwood stated.  “Most of the work I do is on my phone.  Really anything short of an essay is done on my phone, and even then I do sometimes work on those a bit in the Google Docs app.”  Morabito added, “I have to be on my phone to get any work done and with marching band, it’s difficult to focus on what is going on around me.”

“There is no doubt in my mind that we should have had the option to purchase just like every class below us.  I can understand why, but my class would’ve gotten over a year out of them.  To me, it just felt like the school assumed everybody already had one at this point,” Leatherwood said.