The student news site of Downingtown East High School

The Downingtown East Record

A Match Made Under the Sea

Abi Murugadoss, Staff Writer

On October 3 from 7-10 PM, Downingtown East High School hosted the 2015-2016 Under the Sea themed Homecoming. In addition, Downingtown East is presenting the musical, The Little Mermaid, on April 7-10, 2016. Mr. Speakman, Mr. Brown, Mr. Van Gilder, Mrs. Flanagan, Sarah Cribbs, and Mr. McGraw are the main directors who are in charge of The Little Mermaid musical for this year. Also, Student Council helped set up for the 2015-2016 Under the Sea themed Homecoming. The teacher who runs Student Council is Mrs. Wolf, and the Student Council Homecoming Presidents are Kelly Rakus (11), and Erin Wright (12).

Kelly, Erin, Mrs. Wolf and Student Council all contributed to the grand Homecoming display this year.  In reference to homecoming and the musical being related, Mrs. Wolf said, “No, we did not plan that together at all. But it makes sense and it works well.” As far as decorations go, Kelly said, “We have people painting really big murals of different under the sea things, and we have a ton of jellyfish we are going to hang from the ceiling and nets and sort of a beach themed area.” All and all it was a joint effort that made this year’s Homecoming possible.          Casting roles for each actor or actress may depend on several different aspects. Mr. Speakman, the vocal director, said, “I need a girl with a pretty versatile range because Ariel has to have kind of a duality in her character when she goes through this woman hood change so at times she sounds like a little girl but at other times she sounds like a mature woman, and so she has to have a lot of colors and ranges to her voice.”  Hopefully, the casting directors can find the perfect Ariel for the show. Mr. McGraw said, “Auditions are going to be right after the fall play right around Thanksgiving. We’ll have our general interest meeting and let people know when the show is, when specific audition dates are and give them all the specifics for auditioning.” Not only are the directors interested in students auditioning, but also they hope to invest in heelys for the actual performance.

Mr. Brown, the producer of the musical, believes that heelys will add great theatrical effects to the show. He said, “The Broadway production used (heelys) to simulate the concept of swimming… But if you have heelys you kind of float about the stage.” Also, he talks about how The Little Mermaid musical and Homecoming being related “was an awesome surprise!”

Furthermore, Sarah Cribbs the student manager is completely ready for the preparation to start. She said, “It’s gonna be all hands on deck pretty much… there’s gonna be a huge shipwreck.” Everyone is beginning to anticipate the amazing family friendly musical, The Little Mermaid.

Finally, Mrs. Flanagan, the costume designer, has several ideas for the costume aspect of The Little Mermaid. For instance, she says, “I actually need to consult with our lighting designer and special effect designer because the way she decides to do the effects and lighting will determine the way will determine how I design the costumes.” Mrs. Flanagan may opt for a water sparkly dress, or she may design mermaid tail differently if the bottom of the the actors and actresses’ are cloaked. Whatever the case may be, Ariel will have one of the most beautiful costumes in the show.

Therefore, the correlation between the Downingtown East Little Mermaid musical and 2015 Under the Sea Homecoming was totally coincidental. However, these are the high school events that will give an opportunity to enjoy, dance, meet new people, and share experiences.